Ursern Valley Museum

Description

The Ursern Valley Museum is located in the so-called ‘Suworow House’, one of the most beautiful patrician houses in the Ursern Valley. The building was constructed in 1786 by Franz Dominik Nager, a member of the valley council, and is set back slightly from Gotthardstrasse in the heart of the old village centre of Andermatt.

The house got its current name because it served as the headquarters of Russian General Alexander Suvorov in September 1799 when he crossed the Gotthard Pass with his troops.

After changing hands several times, the Ursern Corporation acquired the building in 1985. Following extensive renovation, the Ursern Valley Museum opened there in 1991.

Today, the museum has permanent exhibitions on 18th-century domestic culture, the history of the Ursern Valley, muleteering, alpine farming and military history. The career of Andermatt skiing legend Bernhard Russi is also featured. Temporary exhibitions are held in the basement, and guided tours are available on request.

EXTERNAL_SPLITTING_BEGIN
EXTERNAL_SPLITTING_END